Thursday, October 2, 2008

Alone....


Just heard a bad news today. It's devastating and disheartening. It's a sad story to tell about two breathing beings who found each other as "buddies".

It took weeks since my humble beginning, before I noticed her. I thought at first she's a he with her hairy look and vivid black color. Well, you can never tell if a dog is a girl unless you see her tits and for boys his balls. So, yes, she's a dog and her name sounds familiar "Lucky!", not Britney Spears.

I thought at first she's a stray like the few I noticed on that first day I had. But no, she is owned by one of my Bosses and she serves as school guard against thieves at night. I hate her at first though she has this innocent face of a pet and harmless eyes. She used to sit infront of somebody eating, like begging for some alms, with her dripping saliva. And the noise, the noise when she barks at you like a real beggar considering the fact that she's being fed everyday, 3 times a day excluding her snacks of siopao and a soft drink, is annoying. Heard it right! She eats siopao and drinks soft drinks. Maybe it's the cause of keeping on feeding her. It's maybe because of the training she had that turned to be her usual thing, a gluttony.

The noise became more annoying during our lunch time. She stays under the table or beside any of the faculties and start barking for food. Though after our informal luncheon, she is being fed by her 'mother', our boss' ex-girlfriend and this dog happened to be their pet, but they are in good terms as friends now well, that's another story to tell. And take note, she eats what we eat.

She was actually pregnant that time when I started, so she was being taken care and really given that attention by her so-called adoptive parents. Though she was pregnant, she showed up her being playful, though dogs are not that concern like humans. That was the time I started to like her.

Then the liking got deeper during that moment when I was down. I had this scene in my life when I was misunderstood by some of the faculties with my being witty and maybe being me. All throughout from the beginning, I was trying to please them and adjust on each attitude. Glad to meet these two persons who could get along and ride on with my laughs. I thought I could gain goodness after showing goodness. But it's not true at all especially when those persons are not that sensitive enough. What hurts most is when you are learning to trust them then it suddenly fails.

So it took me almost 3 weeks to contemplate and reflect. I quit making laughs with the two of them. I had my adjustment worked out. I know I made it very obvious through my gestures and mood of being 'cold' towards them but I can't help as I was on the verge of changing what I used to. During those days, I went home alone since they went earlier than me. The bad thing is the road is a bit dark and me being a stranger, felt a bit of fear. Then here comes my night and shining queen. She already had her labor weeks ago and she actually used to go with our group in going home. So it's her and me together in the dark and she serves as my guard.

Consistently, we had our nights together while I was on my reflection moments. I realized then why would I expect something from them. If they can't be good to me so be it. Like her, she never expected something from me in going with me knowing, through her sense of smell, that I don't have any food or alms for her. Or maybe she had this sense to appreciate my kindness towards her since that day I started to like her and started feeding her during my dishwashing schedule and give a little on my snack time. I even played with her when I'm totally bored and missed my place back home. She became my refuge including her little baby boy, the only puppy left after being distributed.

3oth of September, the day after my birthday, classes started back after having that day of my birthday as rest day after a school event that night was held. I saw her sitting on the front door with her tongue. After my class, I even played with her and her little puppy never thought that that was my last moment with her.

Same day that night, I was the last person left since the lab attendant was absent and I have to replace. I was looking for Lucky after I locked the doors but she was nowhere to find so I thought she went down with her adoptive father. So I walked alone and good thing, new bulbs lighted the road. And while walking, I saw a dog being toast in fire by some neighborhood. And just today, I knew that Lucky was hit by a motorcycle which made me realized it's her, that dog being toasted.

Starting tonight, I'll be walking alone. But I know, she'll continue to be with me. Same day that night, my roommate had transferred and it's only me left alone. These events just proved that it always comes in three; my birthday celebration away from home, the death of Lucky and my roommate's transfer. A test of time again. I won't make myself alone this time.

No comments: