Wednesday, September 24, 2008

tEaCHing 104: My Other Related Tasks....

Being a Teacher is perceived to be somebody inside the classroom doing some talking, discussing, explaining, giving quiz both written and oral, asking for ideas and for projects, and computing grades. You might consider teaching as an easy and simple profession as you'll only be echoing the knowledge you have had after spending years of being taught by your teachers. Though the learning process continues as you have to get updates and scrutinize your field for further interrogation your students would start up, as long as the basic knowledge are intacked, you still can handle it.

Same thought that I had before grabbing this job. All I was thinking was I'll be doing those and only those that made me even consider looking for part-time while being a full-time. It was never in my head to do beyond the title "Teacher".

Task #1: Class Adviser. I was on my second week when I was told to replace an advisory. Being new, to refuse was never on my agenda. As much as possible I have to say 'YES' and show my competence and flexibility to handle tasks. It's one way to show that I'm here to work and work every work. Good thing also about it, being a freshy, I was assigned to freshies as well, the Freshmen of Computer Science.
My advising task was like fatherly. I have to make sure to guide my students in every school activities from the announcement to venue and to checking of attendance. I must be there to check on them from time to time and watch over them. But I prefer to consider it as "Brotherly".

Task #2: Internet Attendant Administrator. A week after also, the Laboratories' keys were given to me since I have my classes scheduled in the morning at 7, the earliest among, everyday. So since I have the keys, I'm responsible as well in closing the labs at 9pm.
One month after, the school had decided to look for Internet Attendants and had hired after days of rendering my free service. Now instead of doing the job of assisting students inside the Internet Lab and looking for their names to record and deduct the allotted 20hours they have paid, I'm doing the assisting of these 3 attendants, checking on them if they are working, let them log in on their 'Log Notebook' and sum up their daily hour for their allowance every 15th of the month. And talking about helping,as in big H E L P!!!, when there's no attendant, I do the attending. What a Heck!

Task #3: Dishwasher. The school offers a free rice consumption for the Teachers and staff. We gather every lunch time where each pays for the vian and a pair is assigned to cook and prepare. Since I have no pair and the schedule is occupied from Monday to Saturday, I was assigned to do the washing of dishes from Monday to Wednesday. Though it was a kind of unfair since I work three times a week, and part of washing is fetching a pail of water, still have to do as being agreed. Pew!!!!

Task #4: The Secretary. When one of our co-teacher got her 'item', a position in a teaching job for an Education graduate, her other related task which is being a Secretary of BAC, Bids and Awards Committee, became vacant. I wonder why the position was given to me, but well, it was given to me. So what I do as the Secretary is to collect the canvass and do the honor of awarding the winner of the bids, or the cheapest price among the suppliers. Then, I write a summary of it and have it signed by the members of the committee. Good thing, I have a readable handwriting.

Task #5: Others. To be specific, it concerns school activities and events. One that recently happened is the Acquaintance Party where I was assigned to Restoration Committee. It concerns on the cleaning of the venue and keeping of the school properties after the program. Good thing my students were cooperative or they just don't have the option.

These tasks may sound ordinary and tiring. But despite, they are helping me, testing my ability, improving my skills and my competency and building me as an Employee and a Teacher!!!

Good Luck!!

No comments: