Friday, August 1, 2008

tEaCHinG101: When a Woman Cries......

Today is a little sensitive for my teaching career and take note, this is going to be my first review since the day I started this one great job as they consider and I also consider as I quoted in my application, “Teaching is the best among all professions”. So how would a teacher handle a student in her teary eyes? Do I have to feel guilty for making her cry?

I always give this aura of being strict since the very day of the class to somehow give a little barrier between me as a teacher and them as students. Why such technique or a strategy per se? Experience wise, treating students that real good as buddies’ results to the worst you can never imagine. Respect can no longer exist as they’ll learn to treat you as an ordinary one, as their buddy. They’ll find it as your weakness I would say.

But my strictness is not that harsh. I mean not what we perceive as the “Terror with Horror and Witchy” way. I scold them for being noisy, for being inattentive or being disrespectful or with the attitude, behavior or whatsoever that is intolerable inside a classroom. But not the scold as the meaning itself, it’s just words to omit what’s unnecessary (attitude). But this only covers inside the four-walled room where I talk and they are obliged to listen. Outside, I can be the best guy to talk.

I’m a funny type of person so being strict can never be me specially treating people. I always make sure that I make other people smile, happy or laugh every time I share a talk. That’s why everyday is a real pressure to me cause it’s time for me to act like the hard to get guy in front of young ones whose future lies to me. But not the type of asking them to please me. Again, it’s not me. So what happened after applying such way of teaching?

Now here are two obvious criticisms. First, I’m too serious who doesn’t know how to smile. Well, a bit true for the first 3 weeks but now? Not that much. Second, I’m good with insult which I object. They find my questioning after their answer or have done answering somehow an insult. I believe it’s one way to scrutinize their very thoughts in their very brains. It’s a test of how equip they are with the knowledge I have shared or more than shared, imparted. The way I ask them to their very last drop is one way of teaching them to be certain with every word they say, to stand for it. Well, that’s how I see it as a teacher and definitely not for them as students.

Now here comes the very scene I hate to happen. The crying of a student, specially a SHE that just so happened today.

Today is the start of our group reporting after giving them topics to discuss last week. I assigned leaders and discussed what to do that day last week. And the show began with the second group after confusion occured with the scheduling due to a school event which the group leader supposed to take part. So there she was standing in front alone, no members at all doing the reading with her visual aid on the wall. It was all mere reading that really upset me. So, I asked her with gentle at all, not even any huskiness in my voice, what happened, that it seemed she, being in front alone, not prepared. Then she reasoned out that she didn’t understand what she had researched and everything about the topic. And I reasoned out that she must have asked me earlier, remembering she asked me about it just yesterday.
Then I opened up how I got dismayed with her being the leader the fact that I chose her to be one. And since the first group was also not equipped then I dismissed them all. Then there I saw her eyes in tears when she approached me and asked if she can still do the reporting. I was shocked at first and felt something deep inside. Was I the reason behind those tears? I felt a little guilt so I asked her presence in the office.

There I quickly asked why? And she just answered "it’s nothing". Then I asked her again if I’ve done bad to her then explained her everything about being the leader and her responsibility as one. Then she explained that the tears are all for her mistakes for being not that ready. And at that moment, I felt a little ease knowing that it’s not really my fault and more importantly she has learned a little lesson. I gave her then the site where she can have information for her report.

Sigh! I can never imagine myself letting a girl, a lady or a woman cry. It’s not gonna be myself again. But it just did happen today. But good thing is it’s not totally my fault. Making a woman cry is a big crime to commit that would let my world fall. It won’t happen again.

I’m still somehow trying to cope things up and trying to learn from time to time looking forward to come with the best solution. I’m a no education graduate with those subjects relating to the hows of teaching or teacher’s ways that must be applied

No comments: