Saturday, August 23, 2008

tEaCHinG102: gRacE - uNDeR - pReSSurE


Pressure is the exact word to describe what I felt for the passed days. Aside from the pressure my career really takes me everyday, the current event truly affects me considering where I am right now, so away from home. The current event specifically the Bangsamoro issue that resulted to a merciless attack by the rebels in Kulambogan, Lanao del Norte shook me knowing my sister is in Marawi, Lanao del Norte for her schooling. And thank God she’s safe. But still the news was disturbing considering it’s devastation that caused 41 deaths with most number are of the defenseless civilians.


It is the Headline and people in the nearby towns are in distress. Though the situation is under control still everyone is going to panic. Humor, which I hope will just be, that the next targets include Pagadian, a city next to our town. It makes me truly worried for my families back home. What if they would decide to do so? I can’t afford to imagine it.


And what are the other spots? As they say, history repeats itself which I hope will miss. One of the reasons why I hesitated to come and accept the job was the devastation that happened here. Ipil has the History of such attack that marked in every memory of every IpiliƱos. Way back then, the town was surprised by the flying bullets while establishments were burned into ashes. Every single breathing entity was troubled trying to escape the bullets heading to them. And that was noted as the “IPIL MASSACRE”. Citizens here are truly alarmed and are vigilant including me.


But going back to my title to relate it to its content, the “Test of Time” of this career initiated another test just the other day while we were having our Midterm Exam. I was in our office preparing my test papers when 3 of my students rushed inside. One of the three was hurt with blood flowing from her head. One student reported that she was hit by a stone from the other classroom. Being her adviser, I hurriedly call for a ride with my very instinct to bring her to the nearest clinic for wound-dressing and for a medicine.


But the Barangay Clinic was already closed so I asked the driver for another nearest one. But instead of a clinic, he brought us to a private hospital. Worried? Definitely, I was. Good thing somebody from the office called me and asked if I have any penny and I said “None”, even a single penny to pay our fare. I have to stick to my plan, wound-dressing and medicine only to lessen the bill. But the strange Doctor insisted to stitch the little wound on the lady’s head.


I waited for somebody from the office to come for the financial aid. But nobody, in hurry, came so I decided to go back to my place and get a part of my savings for the bill. When I arrived, still nobody from the office was there. The very short operation of stitching was over and the bill was ready. I took it and got me surprised. My money wasn’t enough that made me hurry again to go back to my place and still expecting for some help to come.


The School Guard arrived with his motorbike when I stepped outside. He was talking to me and interrogated me about the girl. It seemed he had brought no single penny with him from the office, so I asked him to bring me to my place.


I paid the bill and came back to school, still hoping for the amount intended. But I was disappointed when I was advised to keep the OR for refund.


The sad thing about it is that that money was intended for my brother, to be used in going to Cagayan de Oro, and for my Grandmother, to pay my debt. How much did it cost me? Php 1,859.50.


But it did not end there. It was just last night when I opened up to my board mates/officemates about how I got disappointed. And good thing this good friend/board mate/officemate had opened with what people in the office discussed about what I’ve done while I was away. According to them, I must have not brought the girl in the hospital that gave me the hint that they were making fun of me, with laughs, with how I reacted on the very scene. Well, I admit I got my adrenaline a little heightened, but only for the common good. And one thing, she is an advisee and it happened on my exam schedule. Will the simple cleaning of water or alcohol guarantee her safety?


They have their thoughts but disagreeable. Or maybe I’m just reacting this much. Nevertheless, I never regretted what I’ve done and of course, the amount I’ve spent. I was able to find an amount for my brother and decided to pay my grandma next time.


Grace under pressure, well, I am sure I have it till this time. Don’t let them see that you are pressured or they’ll take it as your weakness.

No comments: